Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Where've I been?

OK, ok... instead of "sleepy tri dad," it should be "sickly tri dad". I was in and out for the holidays working on some personal stuff (home repairs) and trying to get time with the family. But at the end of the break, I picked up a nasty sinus infection that had me in bed for 48 hours straight and kept me down for another 4-5 days. I finally forced myself to ride on Saturday (1/5) and discovered maybe it had entered my lungs. I could not keep my heart rate below about 145!

For newer "masters" like myself, training becomes a tricky balance. There's life (family, home repair, dentist appointments and all the other demands), there's work, and then there's making sure you eat right, get enough sleep and don't work out too hard. Finding that balance is a big challenge. If you mess up, you're looking at a week or two of lost training!

So I'm back now, though - swimming starts back up tomorrow, I ran 4 miles last night on the treadmill, and I'm biking again tonight. I'm still working through Friel's training program and getting my work mapped out, but I am definitely in Base 1, week 2, and cranking up the power. Four months till the big race and I have lots of ground to cover!



No comments:

Post a Comment