Thursday, December 13, 2012

CTS: Cycling for Fitness

Last night's workout was Carmichael Training Systems "Cycling for Fitness" DVD (available here: http://trainright.shop.sportstoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=55677_56685&pc=QTAM29DVD). This DVD is a broad base focusing on what Joe Friel would call muscle endurance. I intended it to be an aerobic training activity, so I had to step down a bit. Two nights ago on the Spinervals aerobic set, I ended up anaerobic a couple of times and built up some lactic acid in my legs. The goal right now is to build an aerobic base, so going anaerobic isn't part of the plan.

This DVD covers a series of intervals, from speed/cadence to low-speed power drills. It's a bit shorter than the Spinervals series, coming in just over an hour in length. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Spinervals DVD because it's more of a workout - which is exactly what Friel teaches against. Working harder isn't always working smarter.

So it was a good workout, I think I totaled 19 miles and about 500 calories burned. I finally have my Kurt Kinetic set up properly, so the bike is balance and smooth. I had sufficient hydration and felt very good when I finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment