Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Cycling Training

Well, I achieved my first goal, which was to put in a good riding workout. This year I am riding on a Kurt Kinetic trainer. It's also called the "Rock and Roll" trainer, because it allows for a rocking motion which better simulates real riding. Yesterday was my first session. After swapping out my race wheels for a pair of stock wheels off my cross bike, I popped in my Spinervals Aero Base Builder DVD. This DVD keeps the rider at an aerobic heart rate, in an effort to teach the body to burn fat more efficiently as well as establish a base level of endurance. The workout is about 1:30:00, and this is the first time I have completed it. Clearly my level of fitness improved a lot through 2012!

I've got several other of the Spinergy DVDs, so expect to hear a lot about them. They sure beat hopping on a trainer and riding for hours on end, although I do expect a few long, slow workouts where I pop in Lord of the Rings or something. Each DVD is aimed at a particular strength, like base aerobic conditioning or intervals or such. There are a few I've never completed in the gears recommended, so they'll be plenty of growth this winter!

Duration: 1:30:00
Exertion: felt like a 3
Calories: 700-800 per hour, so let's say 1100
Hydration: 24 oz during, 28 oz after

Riding complete, on to the next goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment