Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Training and Coaching

I mentioned that last year I was lucky enough to have a paid professional coach (Lora Erickson, AKA "Blonde Runner"). This year, circumstances make that impossible. I don't want to spend the money (I have a son who is about to serve a full-time mission for the LDS Church and I want to support him in that), my work schedule makes attending a rigid team schedule difficult, and I want to individualize a few aspects of my training). To help, I picked up a copy of Joel Friel's "The Triathlete's Training Bible"

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/triathletes-training-bible-joe-friel/1100558342?ean=9781934030196








The Triathlete's Training Bible

I'm familiar with Friel's work, having devoured the "Cyclts's Training Bible"a couple of times. If you're looking for information on achieving the next level and you can't afford a coach (and again - I highly recommend it, if it works for your circumstances), this is the book you want. He walks you step-by-step through the process of designing an annual training plan. He doesn't just ask you questions and give you answers, he explains the theory behind his approach. If you're a data wonk like I am, it's awesome!

I'm swamped this week, so unfortunately I have to just work on random base stuff (aerobic and skills) until I can do the self-assessments and a few fitness tests and customize my plan from there. But I've been reading in it for at least a few minutes every day. As a busy dad of 3, his philosophy about time to dedicate is really appealing. To a certain point, less is definitely more.

So my workouts and my annual plan will be coupled to Friel's philosophy. You won't be able to take my training plan, but you can see how I implement his recommendations based on my needs. I recommend you grab the book, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment